Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Handstand's and the DMV....

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:

7 Handstand push-ups, modified
12 L-Pull-ups
AMRAP - 9

Improvement - each day. Period.

My handstand push-ups were modified by climbing the wall.  One major problem I see with my method is sometimes I do not push all of my weight up.  I think my feet and legs just stay in one spot which sounds almost impossible, but I can only tell you how I feel while I am doing this lift.  I do not have a mirror to see if everything is working.  All I know is that they really suck.  And by really sucking I really mean that my body hurts.  So whether the form was good or not I will leave up to further debate.

The Mill:  People just wait in line while the computers are trying to turn back on.  Cranky, impatient, rambunctious, yet somewhat calm.  You know that point of no return during finals week?  You have been studying religiously in the library where it is quiet and stale at the beginning of the week.  As the week rolls on people becomes restless, and the studying has subsided to loud conversations about how pissed off you are that finals had to come this week.

Well that was the feeling at the DMV yesterday afternoon.  The computers crashed, the line grew, and the girl with the Bob Marley shirt and poor language skills was sure to express her disapproval.  She consistently spoke from her gut, not holding anything back, to let everyone know she had passed her exam and now "these" people are holding her up from grabbing her permit and heading out into the car with her case worker.  At the ripe old age of 17, she proudly finished 50% for the day on her written exam.  "It's easier to remember the answers if you take it back-to-back". That's the reason the DMV gave the curious customers.  As a fellow driver and concerned citizen I think she should be forced to study again.  She obviously does not know the answers.  She missed 7 the first time and 5 the second.  Fresh in your mind huh?  After realizing how rude she was, I found myself kind of happy that she failed the first time.  Is that wrong?  I mean she was ridiculously rude, loud, and colorful.  By colorful I mean the Jamaican flag printed on her shirt.

She was upset that "these" people kept her waiting.  She was in line for 4 hours.  Which is a lie, but that's what she claimed to all of her friends she called while we waited.  Another woman, in the same boat, had to cancel two other appointments she had that day to wait for her permit.  She was married, now divorced, two children, and was really excited about passing her test.  She was grateful for the wait because she did not want to go to the divorce meeting.  Which is completely understandable in some cases.

A day at the DMV.  I waited 2+ hours to get my license, and decided to watch everything that was going on around me.  People are amazing, and the reasons people go to the boring DMV are amazing.  Probation, case workers, suspension, permits, probation and permits again.  They kind of did it all.

Entertaining to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment