Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Next Play....

Tuesday, August 16th 

Diane
21-15-9


Deadlifts @ 225lbs
Handstand push ups

7:57

Good old Diane.  I wanted to test myself on another benchmark WOD after Grace on Monday.  Diane was the next in line.  Deadlifts at a pretty good weight and handstand push ups.  I got through 13 unbroken deadlifts in the first set which I think is my most consecutive at 225lbs.

Bicep guy was back.  He was pretty deep into his workout when I got there and not quite done when I left.  Not a single drop of perspiration on his brow.  He's still jacked, no doubt about it.   Kind of like the Million Dollar Man.
Again, though, I'm turned upside down puking during a push up with bloody knees and he's nice and clean curling the EZ bar.  Everybody does their own thing.  And they all work.      

Wednesday, August 17th
"Bradley"
10 rounds for time of:
Sprint 100 meters
10 Pull-ups
Sprint 100 meters
10 Burpees
Rest 30 seconds

36:16


"Bradley" was done outside at the park and in the parking lot.  I did my pull ups next to the monkey bars as kids played around with my keys.  Their mom told me that they just love keys.  Well that's just great these strangers love my keys.

It's a love/hate relationship with burpees.
You can never go wrong with  a gut wrenching body weight WOD.  The first 5 rounds went better than expected and then I hit a wall.  And not just a some piece of shit drywall this was a concrete/brick and everything in between type of wall.  I was gasping for air while feeling a little light headed.  After the 7th round my sprint turned into practically a crawl.  I was moving but it sure didn't feel like it.  It was hotter than I thought and not to mention that I suck at running.  Nevertheless, the WOD was completed and I was spent.  Dog tired, soaked, and thirsty.  Very humbling workout that's for sure.




The Mill:  I had a coach who said "it's the next play" at least 100 times throughout every game.  Maybe because we sucked.  I'm not exactly sold on that one.  It's always the next play, next lift, next decision.  These workouts exemplified "the next play".  Take Diane one deadlift at a time.  Don't substitute speed for form.  And if the form sucked then move on and make the next one perfect.  As for Bradley, each rep, burpee, pull up, and sprint were counted separately.  Especially after the midway point.  It was always the next burpee and the next pull up and the next sprint.  You have to move to the next to accomplish your goal. Don't dwell on what has already happened or what is out of your control.  Make it happen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment