Friday, June 15, 2012

All Aboard the Mill

The Mill:  Finished Crossfit for Hope, and finished is the key word, as prescribed.  This was a great event for an awesome cause, and thank you to everyone who helped support St. Jude's through sponsoring me.  Click on the image to see the full workout and description if you're interested.  You can donate to St. Jude's anytime of the year at this link.

Crossfit for Hope score card 
We lost a classmate to leukemia in 2002 which is a big reason I wanted to get involved in this fundraiser.  It's  how I chose to honor Rob some 10+ years later.

There were a couple of newbies in the gym while I was doing this workout.  Mind you, it's not a Crossfit box.  So, while they are being taken through each machine and told how it works they were probably asking if they could have their money back if this crazy nut goes here.  These older women were probably thinking why does he keep humping the ground (burpees), swinging like a monkey, and sweating all over everything? Well, they didn't say that, but you can imagine what it would be like if they did.  One of the older women just stopped about 2 feet away from and watched for quite some time, and then she left.  I haven't seen them since Monday.  The power snatches were a little tougher then I expected.  The plates are a lot smaller then bumper plates, and that 3 extra inches is a real ball buster.   Again, thank you to all who donated to this great cause and I was honored to have had the opportunity to participate.

My goal is to eventually give this blog some life.  Life in what though?  I want to people to be able to take something from it whether that be a workout, motivation, and hopefully eventually it turns into good writing.    Changing the fitness model is overdone and overused.  Take a step back and think about all the successful programs out there like Insanity, P90X, Crossfit, and my personal favorite Richard Simmons.  There's a ton more and probably offer the same advice, and definitely more to come.  Eat right, look good (not high on my list), and move fast.  Sound familiar?  If you tell someone that wants to lose weight that they should follow your program then chances are they will follow.  Now, I'm a Crossfit wanna-be athlete and I agree with a lot of things that they do, but essentially eat right (except my current chocolate chip addiction) and move heavy things fast.  My point is different and not about change.  As long as someone is moving, working, and eating right (moderation) then things will get into balance.  Fitness doesn't have to be complicated.  Being healthy doesn't have to be complicated.  Basic, everyday movements, that's it.  I do, contrary to popular belief, like to lift heavy things (heavy for me), using those basic movements.  This will get you strong if you want it to or if losing weight is your goal then this will do the trick.  A half hour run on the treadmill, followed by a case of beer, really defeats the purpose.  You would have been better off just drinking rather than being drunk and dehydrated.  I've kind of gotten off the path here, but you could have stopped reading a while ago if you wanted.  So I don't feel too bad.  Increase your heart rate and get creative.  My schedule allows for 2 really creative days outside the gym a week.  This is absolutely awesome.  Park workouts, tire flips, pull ups on the monkey bars, bear crawl up a slide, and anything else you want to do to change up the gym routine.  Expensive gym memberships aren't necessary to workout and get after it.  I wouldn't belong to a gym if my employer didn't offer it.  That stuff is crazy expensive.

I want this blog to give people options.  All people (well the people who read it).  What is fitness?  Crossfit gives fitness a definition, and you can give it your own.  That's the beauty of it.  Make it your own.  Personalize fitness. Here's my definition which is a constant work in progress.
Fitness- Sweat. Blood (a little). Exhaust yourself. Sweat, again. Challenging workouts. Conquer failure. Improve everyday. Be enthusiastic. Embrace each day. Moving is fitness.  So move swiftly.  Live life positive. Keep moving forward. Enjoy your family and friends. Balance.

The Hammer Mill is my outdoor, indoor, anywhere account of what happens while lifting some shit.  I love working out outdoors during the summer.  The winter months up north can kiss my ass for outdoor WOD's. My brother sees it differently, though, as he works out in his garage all year long.  Those walls don't do much for heat in the winter so I spend it in the gym.  I welcome anybody to come on down and join us for some tire flipping, sledgehammer fun. Mix up your routine a bit and come on down.  Just shoot me an email or comment if you're in the area, hammer.mill.blog@gmail.com .

100 tire flips 100 hammer's 6/13















Be a visionary....be kick ass.....be a go-getter


Side note:  The other day I was listening to a radio talk show discussing the Michelle Obama's program called Let's Move!  In a nutshell she is trying to create something that endorses healthy living for children.  Disclaimer: this is not about politics....  These hosts were bashing this program and the importance of creating a healthy lifestyle for our children.  WTF?????  I could hardly control myself in the car.  Being a fairly long road trip and early in the morning, I became irate with these people that I've never met.  I didn't pay much attention to the politics behind the whole thing.  I just took it at face value and declared these very intelligent radio hosts morons to every car I passed.  I'm still pretty upset with the whole situation and how people are finding this program wrong and disturbing.  I find those people wrong and disturbing.  How can they honestly say that they don't agree with, in essence, treating our children better?  Everything in moderation, right?  Can't we all just get along?

Celebrating a MOversary today....our little guy turns 6 months old.

Sporting the new Hammer Mill shirts...I think he just did a burpee.

Show some social media love and share it or re-post it on facebook or twitter (new share links on the left)..... I'll post the workouts later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment