Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Clean it up....

12/21

21-15-9

135 lb. Power Clean
GHD Sit Ups

7:16.... I finally got loose after the first round.  I'm going to start substituting squat cleans for power cleans and continue to work on them.  Fun, short, intense WOD this morning.  Completed eight, 25yard sled pulls after the WOD, threw in a few hand stand push ups and hit the showers.

The Mill:  Well the last week has been crazy exciting, sleepless, and absolutely amazing.  We welcomed our new baby boy last week which has been a workout in itself.  I was there for the birth and the intense labor, for lack of a better(worse) term, and my wife is absolutely amazing.  Pretty cool, huh.  We had numerous visitors, phone calls, and texts from the people that matter most and who already play a big part in the little man's life.  So thank you everyone!  Shout out to his wonderful mommy.

In a lot of ways the little guy reminds me of a roommate from college.  Eat, sleep, drink (milk for the baby and beer for for him), and poop.  Don's sleeping habits for about 6 months were up all night, sleep all day, and not just on the weekends.  He would actually sleep through his night class and/or dinner, not to mention the typical hours for lunch and breakfast.  But, Don's pretty cool himself.

Look, little football's....
Also, this weekend I tried to partake in a very important 3-on-3 tournament which went swimmingly.  The organizers did an awesome job.  I was only able to play one game since we were being discharged later on that day, but it was awesome.  The defense, which was my staple back in the day, left me without a jock strap a few times, and my jump shot was questionable at best.  I did however get a block on the first possession of the game.  In my opinion it was a massive, game changing block.  But this tournament was/is much more than blocks, jump shots or lack there of.  People came out, not to play basketball, but to support, and even though a bystander it was awesome to witness first hand.  It was a privilege, honor, to play on the team that asked me; even it was only for one game.  I left them hanging without a sub for the duration of the tournament, which if you're reading this, imagine me tapping my chest with my hand and repeatedly saying, "my bad".  Like I took bad shot after bad shot.  But again, it was a privilege to play in the tournament.  And next year, "we goin' to the 'ship, what, we goin' to the 'ship".

Ready. Set. Sweat.  Oh, wait we haven't even played yet.   

The weight room is nonexistent this time of year.  Everybody is gone for the break which leaves me and only me.  I have to sneak in, grab a bar, some plates and head to the fieldhouse.  No mirrors, people, or obstacles, just me, the bar and a 100 degree gym.  Changing scenery helps shake things up a bit for the workouts, and allows me to get comfortable in different places.  Performing the workouts in the same open area in the weight room week after week can get mundane so it's fun and beneficial to challenge myself in different ways.

Did you improve today?



No comments:

Post a Comment