Friday, July 15, 2011

Get Some! Even if you're alone

Three rounds for time of:
50 pound dumbbell Waiter walk, 100 meters, Right arm 

10 GHD Sit-ups; 20 Decline sit ups
50 pound dumbbell Waiter walk, 100 meters, Left arm
30 Back extensions 



14:48......


Well, I found out that I was about 100 feet shy of the 100 meters today.  Nevertheless, I had fun with this WOD.  It was challenging enough not to drop the weight on me as I was walking.   




The Mill:  Who are you when no one is watching?  I thought of this while working out this morning.  The gym was empty, just me and 100.1 The Hero.  They play some good tunes, but really I just like the background noise.  Especially alone in the morning.  Usually there's a few people in the gym each morning, but today  it was scarce.  So I thought, will this change my performance?   It can't.  I won't let it.  Who am I trying to impress anyways?  Why do I workout?  For me.  Period.  Primarily because I enjoy it, and really no other reason.  That's pretty crazy to think that I would change my mental approach for something like that or even at all.  It was actually one of the better workouts I've had in a long time.  I was running around like a madman in the there and no one was in my way. 




I remember the opening line of this entry from high school, and it has stuck with me ever since.  I don't know who said it or when they said it.  All I know is that it stuck and helped me become a better person.  The values that you carry when people are watching are the values you should carry when no one is around.  You shouldn't adapt your values and beliefs to others.  Be you all the time.  When you're working alone stay focused.  Challenge yourself.  Small, daily challenges can be fun.  Become better than you were yesterday through challenging yourself.  You only have to worry about competing with yourself.  Not the person next to you in the gym or the office down from you.  Strive to become better each day.  Even when no one is watching.

2 comments:

  1. This is the first that I've seen this blog and I like it. I do a mainsite WOD every now and then, so it's nice to hear your impressions about them. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeff. Hopefully more to come!

    ReplyDelete