Monday, August 8, 2011

3rd time's a charm

CrossFit Games Event 10 For time:
20 calorie Row
30 Wallball Shots, 20 pound ball
20 Toes to bar
30 Box jumps, 24" box
20 Sumo-deadlit high-pull, 108 pound kettlebell
30 Burpees
20 Shoulder to overhead, 135 pounds
120 foot Sled pull, sled plus 165 pounds


13:45....the sled pull was a stretch.  I couldn't rig anything up that wouldn't get me kicked out of the gym for good.  The shoulder presses took just a shade under a decade after the burpees really shocked the system. 

The Mill:   I had to make sure that I was the only breathing soul in the weight room on Friday.  This workout required me taking up a few areas that would/could piss people off.  So I waited until they closed down the gym.  I went in by myself.  Rowed then ran to the free weights and completed the WOD.  It was different.  I began talking to myself out loud.  Like legit self talk.  All positive stuff, well mostly, some was pretty derogatory.  And some was just down right mean.  All at myself.  I typically handle that stuff internally, but I guess this WOD just pissed me off.  Really toes to bar, again?  That's three days in a row.  Oh well.  I kept telling myself to beat the time I had on the first day.  I had to get through at least 12 toes to bar in 3 minutes which for me is pretty tough.  Toes to bar and handstand push ups are my kryptonite.  I practice but just haven't been able to nail either of them down.  I got through 14 T2B before the 3 minute mark so I was ahead of the game at that point.  When I got to the shoulders to overhead portion my arms were fried, and I got a little nervous on the back 9.  A few of them were extremely tough to lock out.  Persistence with this workout paid off. Since I was the only person in the weight room I had to get everything up overhead without dropping it.  Just a little extra motivation.  That internal stuff that really gets you going is the single best motivator I can find.

On a side note, my wife I went out to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary last night.  We went to an Italian restaurant in Niagara Falls called The Como Restaurant, and the eggplant parm was delicious.  They used only fried eggs instead of bread crumbs to cover the eggplant which was a nice little surprise.  Interesting touch by Como's.  Before we went in to eat we sat in the car for a few minutes while I debated to change my shirt.  To change from my sweaty blue t-shirt to my uncomfortable blue polo shirt?  My thought process was that since I needed to make reservations I probably need a "nice" shirt.  Well I changed into the polo walked towards the door and it reminded me of Rick Vaughn from Major League.  I felt like a banker. 

Then when I was ultimately regretting my decision to wear an uncomfortable polo shirt into a very nice restaurant I someone pretending to be Paul Posluszny sitting on the other side of the window.  That's when I decided to that my sweaty blue t-shirt would be just fine.  The next guy walked out with a gold printed shirt and ripped black jeans.  Nevertheless, my wife looked stunning and the date was a success.  The year old cake wasn't too shabby either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment