Friday, August 12, 2011

Stop saying I can't

8/10/11

My dad's 55th birthday WOD (he did something much harder)

11 squats 
11 push ups
11 sit ups
11 pull ups
11 burpees


1:27
It was a rest day so I wanted to keep it light.  Well, this was pretty light. 

8/11/11
AMRAP in 12 minutes

Run 400 m
225 lb. Deadlift, 5 reps


5 Rounds.  
This was an awesome WOD.  The weight felt good and went unbroken all 5 sets.  I did this one with JH, and we kept the same pace the whole time.  No one else was in the gym so we could set up the bars and go to work.  This was the kind of workout that you hope and wish all day that no one is in the gym during those 12 minutes.  It would have been awkward to walk around people and have people walk around us.  We dropped our last deadlift as the clocked buzzed, and decided to take the rest of the workout outdoors.

30 total tire flips and mixed in some tire push presses.  Forearms, back, legs, and everything in between were worked.  We did some push presses back and forth to each other.  Right now we're still experimenting with the different workouts we can do with the tires.  Check out some the pics.  JH was in beast mode.  I think he eats 45lb plates for a snack.








The Mill:  Routine is the enemy.  Or so I've been told.  I'm used to play baseball so I am routine by nature.  I did the same thing before every game from the food I ate to the time I went to the bathroom.  Scheduled and rigid.  Like when I would have to my socks on the same way.  It was crazy for sure.  If something didn't fall into place I felt a little out of whack, but it didn't affect my overall performance.  It just controlled me for that moment.  For the longest time I did the typical chest and tri's Monday workout and so on and so forth to finish out the week.  Those were awesome workouts, and the 5-3-1 Wendler program is absolutely bad ass.  Look at JH and you'll see that Wendler's program works. The tires helped me break that routine feeling of the gym despite Crossfit itself is not being routine.  Functional, everyday movements.  If you're moving and there's a heavy box how are you going to pick it up?  That's what functional movement WOD's help to improve.  It's not just Crossfit, but that's what I've found works for me.  Maybe next time I'll loose my shirt, too. I doubt it, but you never know.

Avoid falling into the trap of the everyday routine.  Shake it up from time to time.  I'm breaking my routine just by trying to be a little healthier with "the player to be named later" on his way.  I know that any routine would be shattered waking up throughout the night to feed the little guy so I'm trying to do that on my own.  

I'm a week into vegetarian living and I have to be honest, it's tough.  I ate salami sandwiches like it was my job, and now the hardest part is filling that lunch time void.  Breakfast is easy considering I'm addicted to peanut butter, and dinner has been easier than I thought this week.  My brother has a blog with some recipes and other cool stuff, take a look (http://g3allaround.wordpress.com/).  There's some really good stuff on there, and he and his wife made an incredible vegetarian thanksgiving dinner last year.  

"Failure follows people around like a bad fart." - Jim Wendler 

Positive thoughts and images help overcome any failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment